26 April 2011

Review: Being Jamie Baker By: Kelly Oram

Title: Being Jamie Baker
Author: Kelly Oram
Publisher: Bluefields, 353 Pages (June 14th 2010)
From: the Author, Thank You!

Synopsis: An accident that should end in tragedy instead gives seventeen-year-old Jamie Baker a slew of uncontrollable superhuman abilities.

To keep her secret safe Jamie socially exiles herself, earning the title of Rocklin High's resident ice queen. But during a supercharged encounter with star quarterback Ryan Miller she literally kisses anonymity goodbye. Now the annoyingly irresistible Ryan will stop at nothing to melt the heart of the ice queen and find out what makes her so special.

Unfortunately, Ryan is not the only person on to her secret. Will Jamie learn to contain her unstable powers before being discovered by the media or turned into a government lab rat?

More importantly, can she throw Ryan Miller off her trail before falling in love with him?

Review: 4 Stars - Author Kelly Oram’s Being Jamie Baker is more than just cute. It’s filled with choices and issues of the past… oh and it’s about a girl with superpowers and a boy, without superpowers and kissing! With a book trailer that’s amazing, seriously one of the best ones I’ve ever seen, I knew I just had to read this book. I was glad that I did and am happy to say that it was a fun read.

When a freak accident leaves Jamie with some crazy superpowers and some issues that are revealed throughout the story, her and her family move away to start new. They hope that this will keep Jamie safe and sound and her powers under wraps. She’s a character that you can see and hear struggling with what fate has cast. What’s even more painful to her is how much of an outcast she has become due to the powers she tries her hardest to keep under control. I did like Jamie, though I thought that she was a little dramatic and went back and forth on a lot of things she needed to make up her mind on, but really who wouldn’t feel the way she did? She’s a teenage girl for one, hello emotions flying all over the place. And two… her life is crazy now, so much has changed. And three… she has superpowers! I mean who wouldn’t be emotional? I know I’d be all over the place without half of what she has to deal with on a day to day basis.

Then we have Ryan. He’s the guy at school everyone loves. Heck, he’s the guy in the whole town everyone loves. He’s popular, the star football player and cute. Now, I’m not going to give anything away, but Jamie and Ryan have a run in of sorts and well… that’s really were the story starts. Their friendship has many growing pains that the two face as the story progresses and I liked watching them both struggle through. I mean I don’t like to see anyone suffer, real or fictional, but it’s through these trials we see who they/people (real and fictional) really are. It’s like pealing back their layers to get to the root of who a person is. I know, I’m getting a bit deep here, but it’s true.

In every good story about someone with superpowers there’s always a villain and we aren’t lacking one here. There are a few and they come in all shapes. And yes.., I’m not going to say anymore than that.

Oram’s writing made Being Jamie Baker a fast paced read and her characters pop off the page. The humorous and witty dialog was a joy and lightened up the more tragic side to the teens. All in all, I found myself laughing and cringing many times while reading. It’s the reactions such as these that help make a book worth reading, and yes, you should give this one a try. I’ll be keeping an eye out for more from Oram in the future. Enjoy!

Also, check out the amazing book trailer. It’ll grab on and not let go.




FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

3 comments:

  1. Awesome humour and superpowers? I'm in!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so cute. It sort of reminds me of Smallville, when Clark had to hold back and try to "fit in." I'll keep my eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I was just thinking about this book the other day. It really is a fun read. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love