03 October 2012

Title: Phantom Shadows (Immortal Guardians #3)
Author: Dianne Duvall
Publisher: Zebra, 390 Pages (October 2nd, 2012)
From: the Author
Format: ARC
Add to: Goodreads

NOTE: This is an adult title and is intended for readers 18 years and older.
Synopsis: Dr. Melanie Lipton is no stranger to the supernatural.
She knows immortals better than they know themselves, right down to their stubborn little genes. So although a handsome rogue immortal seems suspicious to her colleagues, Sebastien Newcombe intrigues Melanie. His history is checkered, his scars are impressive, and his ideas are daring. But it’s not his ideas that have Melanie fighting off surges of desire . . .

Bastien is used to being the bad guy. In fact, he can’t remember the last time he had an ally he could trust. But Melanie is different – and under her calm, professional exterior he senses a passion beyond anything in his centuries of experience. Giving in to temptation is out of the question – he can’t put her in danger. But she isn’t asking him . . .

Review: 4 Stars - I have really enjoyed the first two books in Dianna Duvall’s Immortal Guardian series and the third installment – Phantom Shadows was wonderfully fantastic.

Duvall’s series picks up right where we left off in the last book yet focuses on Sebastian and Melanie this time around. Bastian has had a rough time of it, in the first two books we find out more of what his life was like before he was “found” by the Immortals. I’ve been very intrigued to hear more of his story and while I am a huge fan of this series, I was so thrilled to finally read more about this dark character.

Bastian is a dark, dark character as mentioned above, however he doesn’t know much of anything else. He’s been alive for so long and hasn’t known anything good for so much of that time that he doesn’t have much to base anything else on. Some of the horrible things that he’s been part of in the past have made him a black sheep within the Immortal network. He’s hated there to put it lightly. While many of the other Immortals don’t know all the facts, Bastian doesn’t go out of his way to tell them the truth of what really happened either. He’s okay with being the outcast, being hated then friends with the others. He doesn’t trust either, which is part of how he keeps people at such a distance.

Melanie is a doctor that works within the Network of humans who aid the Immortals. She’s very intelligent and caring. She doesn’t judge or hold grudges against others. She a strong female character and knows exactly how to push Bastian to make him see things from a different point of view. She has a way that she’s able to help keep Bastian in check as well, that I loved to watch.

There’s no doubt that these two are attracted to each other. Bastian believes he’s no good for her and continues to push her away, yet wants nothing more than a relationship with her. Melanie has been at some level of captivation with Bastian from their first encounter. While he pushes away, she pulls in closer. Their chemistry is scorching, yet there’s a slow burn to it that was sweet because of who Bastian is and what Melanie sees in him.

There’s some epic battles in this one too that Duvall kicked up about 20 notches from the last two books. Explosions, tranq guns, sunrise, snipers, swords and tons of bullets later and someone’s bound to get hurt.

Duvall has also included characters and couples from past books that give us all a chance to check in and see where everyone is currently at. There was also a bit of back story told and new characters introduced that I’m sure we’ll learn more about in the books to follow.

All in all, I have more than enjoyed reading this series and I think this has to be my favorite book yet! While there is a bit of a cliffhanger at the end, it’s a set up for what just might be one of the biggest issues the Immortals have yet to face. For those out there who love a great paranormal read, pick up the Immortal Guardians. I know I can’t wait to see what happens next. Enjoy!


FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

1 comment:

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love